Register for this course
SDT/IMCS Ultrasonic Hatch Cover Testing Course (Level 1)
organised by the IMCS Training Academy in cooperation with SDT International
- Training objective Preparing operators of SDT ultrasonic tightness testing equipment to carry out tightness inspections in line with good industry practice and IACS UR Z17 requirements for class service suppliers - this requires delegates to have basic knowledge about hatch covers, their maintenance, operation, repairs as well as theoretical and practical training with SDT class type approved equipment.
- Prerequisites Familiar with the English language, both spoken and written
- Duration 2 days
- Trainer Walter Vervloesem (FNI)
- Course format Powerpoint – DVD/video – practical training - workshops
- Course language English
- Supporting information Course syllabus + book “Hatch Cover Inspections” by W. Vervloesem (FNI), published by the Nautical Institute
- Pre-course training Preferably have experience with shipping, ship and/or hatch cover inspections; pre-course training available in the form of an IMCS CBT
- Max. number of delegates 12
- Target group/delegate profile Inspectors, surveyors, superintendents, hatch cover repair personnel, shipyard personnel, ship’s staff, ...
Upon completion of the complete course and examination, each successful participant will receive a certificate of “Operator qualified for ultrasonic hatch cover tightness testing with SDT Class Type Approved Equipment” as well as a Certificate of Attendance from the IMCS Training Academy and a CPD Certificate of the Nautical Institute.
Certified operators list - upd 2023-10-10
Hilton Old Town
2000 Antwerp - Belgium
Public training : 1150 EUR/person (excl. VAT)
Unless otherwise mentioned on the (pro-forma) invoice, the full amount of the (pro-forma) invoice is payable prior to the course’s start date.
All local bank charges are for delegate’s account.
In-house training : organized at lump-sum cost in function of number of candidates and location of the training.
- KMO Portefeuille / SME e-wallet Only for companies in the Flemish region : save upto 30% on your training cost - registration number DV.O247789
Please fill out the registration form or send an email with the participant’s name, company details, email address and mobile phone number to email@example.com
Registrations are made on a first entered (and paid), first booked basis.
Ultrasonic training module
- principles of sound & ultrasound
- familiarization with the SDT Hatchecker and its applications
- using Class type approved ultrasonic testing material (Hatchecker) for tightness testing on board
- practical exercises
- using the SDT Sherlog Reporter and SDT Sherlog Reporter App
Hatch Cover training module
- applicable rules and conventions
- claims as a result of wetting damage
- hatch cover history
- understanding hatch covers
- hatch cover types
- hatch cover key items
- hatch cover safety
- hatch cover sealants
- items to be checked before testing
- different testing methods, advantages & drawbacks hatch cover vocabulary
- evaluation of ultrasonic test results
- workshop (PP based) on hatch cover defects, problems and good practice
- evaluation of exam.
- course debriefing and closing